Process & Results
In my project “Farari Typeface”, I started a typeface inspired by hand-painted lettering several years back. With this project, I revived that typeface and made some major changes.
One of the issues with Farari was the awkward proportions of the round forms. I chose to make the rounds more square. I shortened the ascenders by increasing the x-height relative to the cap height, and shortened the descenders. Optically, this helped the font look more geometric at small point sizes. I also decreased the serif sizes by about 50%.
After spending too much time manually setting glyph sidebearings, I decided to try Autokern by Typefacet, a script that automates sidebearing configuration. This step had several sub-steps, which I go into more detail in the article Using TypeFacetʼs Autokern Script.
Once major adjustments were complete, I could start using the font in actual specimens. While I did this, I continued to make some adjustments to kerning so that the different applications were consistent.